General InformationVolunteer registration will start on 15 January 2013! The Standard Chartered Half Marathon Brunei 2013 relies heavily on volunteers for a variety of jobs on Race Day. Some of the key areas during Race Day where volunteers help is required include:
- Fruits, drinks and muscle rub creme distribution (7 April, 3am - 10am)
- Course marshals (7 April, 3am - 10am)
- Start- & Finish Area Drink Stations (7 April, 3am - 11am)
- Usherer around Start & Finish Area (guide runners to the right locations, etc, 7 April, 3am - 11am)
- Crowd Control at the Finish Line (7 April, 3am - 11am)
- Check out Area Runners (7 April, 3am - 11am)
- Baggage Counter and collection and return of Runner's Event Day Bag (11 April, 3am - 11am)
EntitlementsAs our appreciation for your efforts, the Organisers will be providing you with:
- Exclusive volunteer T-Shirt
- Certificate of Appreciation (printable online)
- Meals and refreshments breakfast pack on event day
- The unique experience to participate in a big event
You agree to the guidelines stated here and you certify that you are physically fit.
2.1. To register as a volunteer, you must be 16 years old or older as of 1 January 2013.
2.2. Volunteers must ensure that information and details provided are correct. Information on briefing dates and any other important information will be disseminated via the email address provided.
2.3. All volunteers must be able to commit to the time schedules provided on the website. Trainings (if applicable) and briefings are mandatory for all volunteers, as important and useful information will be disseminated. Details for training or briefing sessions will be provided on the website. An email reminder will be sent to you prior to the trainings or briefings or any other key dates.
2.4. Volunteers will be allocated their preferred roles as far as possible, based on related experience or special skills they may have. However, the Organiser reserves the right to reallocate positions should the need arise.
2.5. Registering your interest via the event website does not confirm your appointment as a volunteer for the Standard Chartered Half Marathon Brunei 2013. The Organiser will review all application of interest within 7 days after the closing date on March 20 and will email the confirmation to all successful applicants via the email provided. Unsuccessful applicants will be notified via email as well.
2.6. Volunteers are advised to update the Organiser of any changes in their contact details ASAP to ensure the most updated information pertaining to the event is able to reach them in a timely manner.
2.7. Volunteers who wish to withdraw from the event must inform the Organiser of their intention by email immediately.
2.8. A face-to-face interview shall be conducted for volunteers short listed for "Volunteer Leader" positions.
2.9. The Organiser reserves the right to limit and/or refuse any volunteer registration entries.
3. Conduct and Dress Code
3.1. Volunteers are required to report punctually at the times stated by the Organiser.
3.2. Volunteers are strongly encouraged to keep the contact details of their leaders for emergency purposes.
3.3. Volunteers are strongly advised not to wear slippers, sandals or any other form of footwear that exposes their toes on any working day.
3.4. Volunteers are not allowed to wear branded apparel on working days that may conflict with the Event sponsors.
3.5. Volunteers are expected to wear the volunteer T-Shirt (provided) and display accreditation passes at all times while on duty. Accreditation passes are non-transferrable and gives you access only to areas where you are required to perform your duties.
3.6. Volunteer T-Shirts are to be kept clean and appearance must be neat.
3.7. No volunteer is permitted to remove or make copies of any documents pertaining to the event without prior approval of the organizing team.
3.8. Release of any confidential information to unauthorized persons can result in dismissal from duty and could involve result in legal proceedings against you.
4. Volunteer Entitlements
4.1. Volunteers will receive one Official Volunteer T-Shirt
4.2. Volunteers who do not fulfill the required duties as per their allocation may not be entitled to the volunteer's certificate. This includes leaving early and/or arriving late. Should the volunteer have valid reasons, Organisers reserve the right to decide if he/she should get the volunteers certificate on a case by case basis.
4.3. The volunteer certificate can be downloaded from our website 4 days after the event.
5. Administrative Matters
5.1. Volunteer Handbooks will only be given out during the volunteers' briefings
5.2. Any emails or enquiries will be replied or attended to within 3 working days.
5.3. The Organiser reserves the right to use any photographs, motion pictures, recordings, or any other record of volunteers for any legitimate purpose, including commercial advertising.
6. Dismissal of Volunteers
The Organiser will reserve the rights to dismiss the volunteer from his/her duties based on any of the following reasons:
- Dishonesty (including but not limited to provision of false information during registration)
- Theft case (including but not limited to stealing of runners' entitlements/souvenirs) will be referred to the police.
- Absenteeism (including but not limited to absence of duty without informing respective leaders or the Organiser)
- Inappropriate behavior
Volunteers who are dismissed based on the above reason(s) and/or reasons that the Organiser deem unacceptable may be blacklisted and not allowed to volunteer for future Standard Chartered Half Marathon Brunei 2013.
The organising team intends to provide volunteers an environment that is pleasant, healthy, comfortable and free from intimidation, hostility or other offenses, which might interfere in the course of the volunteer experience. All harassment offences of any sort will not be tolerated and should be reported to your respective leaders immediately.
8. Risk Management
8.1. Insurance Coverage:
- Basic insurance coverage is provided for each volunteer. This includes accidental medical expenses and personal accident insurance coverage (depending on circumstances on how and when the accident occurred).
8.2. Accident & Emergencies:
- Volunteers are advised to be aware of their own safety.
- In case of injury while volunteering, please contact the nearest medical point.
- All injuries need to be reported to your leader and subsequently should be relayed to the Organisers.
- In cases of serious accidents or injuries involving the public. DO NOT MOVE the victim if you suspect a head, neck or spinal injury. Keep the victim warm to prevent shock until help has arrived. If you are at all unsure, let someone who is trained in first aid to assist and wait for the emergency services to arrive.
- If you are approached by the media about an accident, you are expected to withhold any information and refer them to the media tent.
1. How old do I need to be to register as a volunteer?
To register as a volunteer, you must be 18 years of age and above as at 01 January 2013.
2. What is the working time for the event day?
Schedule for working days is as follows (minor changes possible) : 07/04/2013: 03.00am - 11.00am - Race Day Route and Start-/Finish Area
3. Do I need to attend any briefings?
Volunteers must be able to commit to the time schedules provided on the website accordingly. Trainings (if applicable) and briefings are mandatory for all volunteers. Training and briefing times provided on the website are tentative and may be subject to change. All volunteers will get regular newsletters from the organiser.
4. What if I cannot attend the briefing? Will I still be able to volunteer for event day?
Briefing details will be emailed to volunteers who are unable to turn up for briefing. However, volunteers are strongly encouraged to attend all briefing in person so as to have a clear picture of their duties on any working day. Yes, volunteers would still be able to volunteer themselves for any working day.
5. What happens after I sign up online?
Registration does not confirm your appointment as a volunteer for the Standard Chartered Brunei Half Marathon 2013. You will receive an acknowledgement email within 3 working days (Mon-Fri). Confirmation of position will be sent to you via email latest 7 days after the registration closing date on 20 March 2013.
6. What if I am not able to make it on the day/s of duty?
Volunteers who wish to withdraw from the event must inform the Organiser at the earliest time possible.
7. What if I cannot work the whole shift?
Volunteers are reminded to take note of the working hours as they will have to commit themselves fully once they sign up. Absence of leave will be granted to volunteers for emergency reasons only.
8. Can I split the shift with a friend?
9. I did not receive any confirmation email after more than 14 days.
Please check your junk mail to be sure. Drop us an email at Help.SCBruneiHalfMarathon@sc.com if you still do not have it.
10. Will my meals be provided?
Yes. Breakfast will be provided to all volunteers prior to start of event. Lunch and dinner will also be provided depending on the length of duty.
11. Is there a dress code?
You are required to wear the official volunteer T-Shirt that will be provided to you. You should wear Bermudas, shorts or jeans on Event day. Volunteers are strongly advised not to wear slippers, sandals or any other form of footwear that exposes your feet on any working day.
12. What should I bring with me?
As little as possible. There will be no holding area for personal belongings so you will have to carry any items you bring with you. Personal valuables should also be safeguarded by yourself.
13. What do volunteers receive?
- Volunteers will be entitled to receive one official T-Shirt
- Volunteer T-Shirt will be distributed on Event Day
- F&B will be distributed on Event Day
- Volunteer certificate after the Event day
14. Do volunteers get a discount on race entry fees?
15. What if I am unable stand for long periods of time?
As a volunteer for the Event, you are to certify that you are physically fit for any area of duty. In case you are unable to stand for long periods of time you are advised to mention that during your registration